CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 21, 2011

Laundry Soap

So I recently came across a recipe per say about homemade laundry soap. I was real unsure of it. I didn't know how well it would clean. But I am pleasantly surprised. I made up a batch and have been using it.  At first it costs about the same price to buy regular soap (depending on brand). But once you get the ingredients needed to make it it will last a super long time. And start to save you money!  And if you are always doing laundry like me and having to buy soap every other week or so it seems. It will save or give you extra money to spend somewhere else:-)  It is super easy to make. It takes maybe 20 minutes. And you end up with two gallon jugs full of laundry soap. I also have come across a homemade softener recipe but haven't  tried it yet. When I do I will post and let you know how it turned out. Here is the homemade laundry detergent info.

1 bar of soap (any kind you want)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of washing soda
big pot that holds more then 2 gallons, a funnel, spoon, and 2 empty gallon jugs.

grate your bar of soap and put in pan
fill 1 gallon jug and poor in pan with soap
cook until soap is dissolved
add borax and washing soda
bring to boil ( it will coagulate)
turn heat off and add 1 gallon of cold water
stir well and pour in to containers.

I use a 1/2 cup per load for washing. Also it don't sud up like normal detergent.
And you can find the washing soda and borax at walmart in the normal laundry detergent aisle.

4 comments:

Grace & Co said...

I would LOVE to make my own detergent, but can I find all of these "ingredients" at Walmart? That's the only store I have here. =\

d_lhays said...

I found them all at the Walmart. Its on the normal detergent aisle. I found them right next to each other on the bottom shelf by the cleaning aids. And I believe the where close to 3.50 a piece for the borax and washing soda. I had the bar soap already. I won't ever buy laundry detergent again.

Grace & Co said...

I will definitely try this then!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I'm going to give this a shot! Thanks for sharing it! Jessa